Thursday, October 1, 2009

Parting....Such Sweet Sorrow

This was the first thing I saw Tuesday morning, it was kind of bitter-sweet. Josh and his friend Skylar did a great job at packing all of the stuff he needed to take. I thought it wasn't going to fit, but they did it!


by 7 am he was dressed and ready to go.


At 8 President Lawes and Brother Howell and Eric set him apart as a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. President Lawes' blessing was so beautiful. The power of the priesthood is a truly special thing.



We were all very happy and proud to see him off. Dallin and Skylar even dressed up for the occasion


Had to run a couple of errands on the way to the airport and everyone was hungry so we stopped and Pro's Ranch market to get some food



Then my mom and some friends showed up to eat with us and see us off to the airport.


His brothers were all so helpful and eager to see how the process all worked that they carried all of his luggage all the way to the check in.


All of the cousins showed up to the airport to wish him good luck and give him lots of hugs and love.

Then we waited for a while until it was absolutely time to go...

...and waited a little bit more.


Then we had a few tears and lots of hugs, the little one wouldn't let him go, they would hug him then run after him to give him more hugs. It was so cute I hope Josh felts all of that love.

Eric and I were fortunate to get a couple of courtesy passes to walk with him all the way to the gate. And I do have to say that was one of the hardest things I've had to do. He had the scardest look on his face and his eyes were all welled up with tears. I gave him a huge hug and told him not to be scared and that we were soooo proud of him.



We say him take those last few steps into the plane and then Eric and I sat there and stared at the door for a second. Then all of a sudden I started to cry, so much so that I could not gasp for air, I have never had that happen. So after I started to breath and regain composure we walked back out where everyone was waiting.

We couldn't see the plane from where we were so we ran over to the parking lot where we could see his plane. It was a small one.
All the boys had a hard time with it, but especially touching was Ammon, he cried and cried. He's so sweet and they are all going to miss him so much


We stayed until we couldn't see the airplane anymore. I know he couldn't see us, but I hope he felt our love and support.



Dallin said later that night, "This is so weird, this is so weird, I don't know what I'm going to do without my best friend." I'm so glad that they are such good friends it fills my heart with so much happiness. Day one, 729 more to go and counting....







3 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. Brent and I prayed for Josh on Wednesday night! I especially worry about the boys on their first night in the MTC, just hoping that they aren't too homesick or freaked out! I'm sure he's doing great and he'll be a wonderful missionary & example to his younger brothers!

    I still remember when Uncle Eric came home from his mission and we Romney girls were so excited to have our silly uncle back! Now his son is out getting ready to serve. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my.
    i just had myself a good cry.
    i've been thinking about josh {and YOU} so much this week.
    please know that i feel your pain!
    thanks for starting this blog.
    i can't read enough missionary letters.
    they're wonderful.
    i look forward to hearing what elder davis has to say.
    i loved all the photos and what you wrote, molly.
    it really is an indescribable thing to have them leave, isn't it?
    you all are in our prayers!
    he'll be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! All these tears and it's just the stinkin' airport! Josh is such a good friend and example to Skylar. We love him like he's our own! Heck....he was here when I went to bed...he was here when I woke up...he ate my food...beat up on Kylee...and slept on my couch...yep, that's my boy! Thanks for posting! You rock!

    ReplyDelete